Untreated water, which is supplied from the central city water supply system or wells, is not suitable for use, because its chemical composition is far from the generally accepted norms. Even if at first glance you think that the water is clean (no unpleasant smell, yellowness, precipitation, turbidity, etc.), most likely, the level of various chemicals in it (chlorine, iron, hydrogen sulfide, manganese, ammonium, nitrates, sludge, sand, harmful microorganisms, and this is not the whole list) exceeds the permissible norms.
Does the water smell like hydrogen sulphide? Does the faucets always have limescale on them? Does your skin get very dry after taking a bath/shower? And after water treatment there is yellow plaque on the bath? If you encounter these problems, you urgently need to take care of the water treatment and water treatment system. Installing a water filter will eliminate all the problems mentioned above. You can also read the article on distilled vs purified water.
Stages of water purification for a private home
For a better understanding of the topic, let’s consider an example of a technical water treatment system for a private home. The water is prepared in several stages:
- Mechanical treatment filter – removes sand and rust from the water.
- Complex treatment filter with filter material – reduces water hardness and removes scale from household appliances.Complex filters can be column or cabinet type. The column type is a separate housing with ion exchange resin and a separate container with salt solution (for purification of ion exchange resin). And in the cabinet type filters, the two elements are assembled together, so they are more compact. Therefore, the cabinet type filters are designed for water purification in small apartments. In addition, it is recommended to use a special flask with carbon filter to eliminate the unpleasant smell of water from hydrogen sulfide.It is important to note that the regeneration process depends on the quality of the original water. Accordingly, the higher the water hardness level, the shorter the cycle (i.e. less water can be filtered with one unit). With complex filters, it is also recommended to use cartridges for mechanical cleaning of the source material.
- The UV disinfection unit uses UV radiation to destroy viruses, microbes and fungi in the water.
These three stages deal with the purification of water from coarse impurities, so they are intended only for the purification of process water (to extend the service life of sanitaryware and household appliances). This water is not suitable for drinking. In order to prepare the drinking water for consumption, reverse osmosis is required.
Reverse osmosis system
The process of drinking filter installation takes place in several stages:
- It is necessary to free space for the filter without blocking access to it. Usually the drinking filter is installed under the sink, but the system can be perfectly placed in the kitchen cabinet near the sink.
- We prepare everything for the filter connection. Close off the water to avoid unpleasant situations. Wrap all threaded connections with foam tape in advance, and then we can install the insert by disconnecting the supply line from the tap and fixing it.
- Be sure to check all tubing and inlet pressure for leaks. If the pressure is low, the pump must be installed. If the pressure is more than 4.5 atmospheres, a reducer should be installed.
- We use paste to connect the set to the water supply line and check for leaks.
- Install the water tap by making a hole 12 mm in diameter.
- Enjoy clean drinking water.
If you find the process too complicated, you can hire these specialists for sink water filter installation https://www.highwaterstandard.com/water-filter-installation-nyc.